Hello, DialSource users:
While testing this afternoon, some settings were updated on the backend that may be affecting some accounts. We're looking into it now and will keep everyone up-to-date here.
UPDATE 3:55p PDT: We've identified the issue and are working rapidly to resolve. We're restoring a backup of some system settings, which should be complete within a few minutes.
UPDATE 4:02p PDT: The restore is complete and everything is back operational. We have a bit of dusting to do, but all accounts should be fine as of now.
ACTION ITEMS: Now that the dust has settled, there is one item we need to make you aware of. Because we restored some settings from this mornings' backup, any adjustments you made to the DS Admin page today will need to be made again (e.g., turning off Disposition Locking, changing the Skip Recycle Time, or updating the password on your Configuration Account).
Feel free to give us a call or shoot over an email if you have any questions.